Friday, November 28, 2008

Role Model #4


Being a role model is a huge resposibility. I was just used to being the kid who always clowns and is just silly. Going into my junior year of high school, I realized that this could not be the case. Yes, I still do it today, but I'm getting better at when and where. We would have summer camps and teach these little kids (pictured left) basic basketball skills. In order for them to get the most out of what I was teaching them, I had to be more serious because I cared about them as individuals. Teaching these kids every summer is so much fun. You see many of the same kids coming back and you gave them drills to do. It is great to see what they have done with that. Also, many times these kids see me in the community and all. Some of them go to the church that I attend regularly, so it is very important to be a great example to them not just for basketball, but spiritually, and life in general. These kids talk to their parents and say they want me to even babysit for them which is great because they are such fun kids. When babysitting for them, they know there are things they can do and cannot do, so it's that respect that is earned. They know if you respect them, they will return that. Also, I go back to my high school now that I am graduated and see the athletic director, my old coaches, and even parents who still have kids playing and that. This makes me feel good when they ask how everything is and I return the question. Even teachers who are there strike up conversations, talking about class and the good times we had.

No comments: