Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Teachers in videos vs. Reality #9

Recently a class I was in watched a movie in french called "The Class". It was about a teacher and his class, how he dealt with management, behavior, and all of the things that happened there. He was a very sarcastic teacher and this was one of the reasons his students did not like him that much. There was one point in the video where he said two of the girls were acting like "skanks". When he would be explaining something and one of the students would not understand, another student would make a smart remark about it and degrade the other person. However, the teacher asked that student a follow up question they did not know and this student was quiet for a bit. Many times students want teachers to care about them and ask questions about their lives. These students did not really want the teacher to know that much about them because they felt it there was no need for it in the classroom. This was interesting to me because I enjoy when teachers ask how everything is going. It shows me that they care about me as a person. At my high school, some of the teachers came to sporting events to cheer on their students. This shows the sense of community in the school. Many of my teachers would joke with us when we were in the classroom, so that we would feel more comfortable and want to participate. I did not want to participate as much because there were so many other students smarter than me in classes. However, teachers got me involved and that was greatly appreciated. In my classroom, I hope that my students will want to participate in discussions or lectures that take place. Allowing my classroom to portray community is a goal because it encourages learning through so many different things. Teachers should be people there students look up to. I can only hope to be such a teacher.

No comments: